Why I Read

Some people read because they have to for a class, some people read because they love literature, and most people read for both. Personally, I read because I love books. I know some people who hate reading and don’t like a certain class because they have to read a book or an excerpt from a story. However, I also know many people who love to read just for the fun of it. I feel that books are amazing to read because you can get immersed in most of them so easily. Also, it’s a great way to strengthen your imagination. When an author describes the characters and settings in vivid detail, you can see everything in your head and see everything like it’s real. When an author gives very limited detail on characters or settings, you can paint your own picture and make part of the story your own.

Like I said before, I love to read. I prefer books over a magazine, newspaper, or an article like the ones I sometimes have to read in class. I like reading in my free time because I can pick what I want to read, unlike school when they most likely pick for you. Occasionally, the books that teachers choose are good and I absolutely love them. However, sometimes they’re bad and I just want to get it over with so I don’t have to read it anymore. When I do read, I like fiction a lot better than nonfiction. So far, the Harry Potter books have been my favorite that I have read. The books are just fantastic and I can’t get enough of them.

I’m not a big reader, but I like to think I read a lot. I usually read books that I know I’ll like. I know that I’ll like certain books because I have already watched the movies. I watch movies a lot more than I read books. For example, I watched the Harry Potter movies and decided I really wanted to read the books because they will have more detail and more things that happen than in the movies so it will be even better. Sometimes that doesn’t happen. For instance, I read a book that was based around the idea of Sleeping Beauty but with a twist. It took me forever to get even partially through it because the first part was very boring for me and I’m still not even done with it because it doesn’t grab my attention like other books. Sometimes when I read a book after watching the movie, I feel like it’s not as fun because I already know what happens and it lessens the surprise of things, but I still feel a lot of emotions when I read those books anyway. Basically, I’m not a huge reader like other people I know, but I do read quite a bit and I usually read a book after I’ve already seen the movie.

I am currently reading a book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It is an amazing book because it’s about a kid who just became a freshman and his struggles through school and life but he makes great friends along the way. I feel like people can relate to different characters, especially him and that’s part of what makes the story so good. Whenever I read a book, sometimes, I just stop reading it for no reason and it takes me a while to come back to it. I just started reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower again because I stopped reading it for a while and decided that I wanted to finish it. This happened with the seventh Harry Potter book too. If I didn’t stop reading it, I would have finished it a lot quicker. For instance, I read the first Harry Potter book in two days because I wouldn’t quit reading it. Once I finish the Perks of Being a Wallflower, I already know the next book that I’m going to read. So basically, I do like to read, but mostly fictional books, I like to read on my own time and at my own pace, and I mainly read books that I am pretty sure that I’ll like.